They’re meant to be fun and put visitors in the festive spirit but this certainly wasn’t the case at a Christmas market recently when a four-year-old boy started choking on a piece of sausage meat.
The market where the frightening event took place can be found in Manchester, it’s a popular annual event and you’ll usually find it packed to the hilt with busy shoppers over the holiday period.
Back the beginning of December the stalls were in full swing when a fearful event started to unfold. A young lad visiting the market with his parents was tucking into a Bratwurst sausage when a sizeable chunk of meat became lodged in his windpipe.
Panic ensued as his parents frantically tried to remove the blockage and without the intervention of a security guard working at the event, this incident could have ended in tragedy.
Cherice Wallen was busy in her role as security at the event and she promptly sprang into action and put the first aid skills she had paid for herself to the test. As the boy turned blue Cherice started to perform the Heimlich Manoeuvre and on the second attempt the stuck sausage flew out of the boy’s mouth.
She saved his life. This was above and beyond the call of duty for the security officer who works for a private local firm. Unsurprisingly, the boy’s parents were ecstatic with the speedy actions of the security professional. They later returned to present Cherice with a gift and a card to say thanks for saving their son’s life.
As security professionals we think this is outstanding work at K9 Patrol. Not only did this individual monitor safety at the event, she prevented what could have been a tragic outcome.
Head to a Christmas market this year and you’ll no doubt spot security personnel keeping a careful watch over the crowds.
Please have fun, just be careful to chew and swallow properly if you buy a big Bratwurst!